Notices

WARCRC > Chitter Chatter > Misc. R/C All terrain/ 4WD, go anywhere recovery/tow tractor vehicle build

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Helicopter Len

Crawler & Scaler
Default All terrain/ 4WD, go anywhere recovery/tow tractor vehicle build

Hey all, I know a few of you from last years NWSC. Here is a little build I'm starting as a compliment to out scale comps here for those who need an assist due to a broke or non existent winch, broke drive line or what have you, as opposed to a DNF. Its pretty close to 1/10 scale off the specs I could get from John Deere. Its a slow build, just sharing as I go.
What I'm going for Cable Skidder 640 G III.
uploadfromtaptalk1373175484525.jpg
What I have so far.

More to come soon.

Last edited by Helicopter Len; 07-06-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Helicopter Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
justme

Crawler & Scaler
Default Re: All terrain/ 4WD, go anywhere recovery/tow tractor vehicle build

That is awesome! How are you going to do the articulated steering setup? And is it going to have a tilting axle, or pivot in the middle for articulation?

I can't wait to see this finished. I used to run log skidders years ago. They are my favorite machine ever!

I would put lots of weight down low and make that thing as heavy as you can get it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Last edited by justme; 07-07-2013 at 12:47 AM.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Helicopter Len

Crawler & Scaler
Default Re: All terrain/ 4WD, go anywhere recovery/tow tractor vehicle build

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
That is awesome! How are you going to do the articulated steering setup? And is it going to have a tilting axle, or pivot in the middle for articulation?
Thanks! The cab tilts to the side, just like the real one, and I'm going to have a 1/4 scale servo (at least a big one) mounted below with a dual servo arm. From there two links running to the aft half, pretty close to being like the real setup without using hydraulics.
I'm using some old Clodbuster axles I had for this, maybe some day a solid axle/drive shaft set up. Anyways, the front axle oscillates about 20 degrees either side, actual tractor is 15 degrees, we'll see. I might end up limiting or leaving it. The rear axle will mount solid to the frame. Hopefully it will actuate like the real deal.
I have a 7 cell NiMh 5000mAh battery that is going to power up this thing, mounting in the Fwd lower skid area, should keep the weight down low.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm working on a few other projects at the same time, so I bounce between them as I get inspired. Plus with fire season coming into full swing, I may be out fixing helicopters more than I'm home. So, it will be a slower build, I'll post as more happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Helicopter Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
killerbee68

Crawler & Scaler

Really like what your building, I wanted to build an old timber jack skidder that I used to operate it had a much lower CG compared to Garret or Clark.
killerbee68 is offline   Reply With Quote